Re: [Branch ~dolfin-core/dolfin/main] Rev 4896: Add simple Stokes solver for parallel testing.

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 16:24 +0200, Anders Logg wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 03:21:59PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> > > ok.

> > > I don't understand why not. It's a good feature to have to be able to
> > > restart a simulation (on the same number of processors) and completely
> > > avoid the partitioning step. Moreover, everything we need is already
> > > implemented since we can read/write meshes including mesh data.
> > >

> > It is a good feature. To do it, save the mesh and the partition, and
> > then restart using
> >
> >   Mesh mesh("mesh.xml", "partition.xml");
> >
> > This will not involve any partitioning.
>
> It's true that it wouldn't involve any partitioning (as in calling
> ParMETIS) but it would involve redistributing the mesh between all
> processes and computing all the auxilliary data that is needed, like
> the global vertex numbering and mappings to neighboring processes.

No, because the process would only read the bits which it needs. The
partition data would contains the other data.

> By storing one file per process (which is almost already supported),
> that would also be avoided. Each process would read a regular mesh
> file and be ready to go. No communication and no computation involved.
>
> > > In summary, if I understand correctly that you want things stored in
> > > one file, we would have the following:
> > >
> > > 1. Reading from one file and automatic partitioning/redistribution
> > >
> > > This is already supported today, and it already supports the use case
> > > of first running on m processors and then n processors since in both
> > > cases the mesh will be read from one single file and partitioned.
> > >

> > Yes.
> >
> > > 2. Reading from multiple files where the mesh has already been
> > > partitioned and m = n. This is almost supported today. We just need to
> > > decide on the logic for reading from multiple files.
> > >

> > I advocate not supporting multiple files. Keeping to one file-file model
> > makes things simple.
>
> Multiple files would not be much of a complication since it is almost
> already in place. Each process just reads its corresponding file
> without any communication.

Having dug around in the XML files over the past few days, I wouldn't
agree with this. It may seem outwardly simple, but it means files having
different states and it gets messy.

Garth