Re: [Branch ~dolfin-core/dolfin/main] Rev 4910: Add (initial) files for building DOLFIN with CMake.

On Monday August 9 2010 09:25:44 Garth N. Wells wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 09:13 -0700, Johan Hake wrote:
> > Will CMake eventually supersede SCons? If so what are the reason behind
> > such a decision?
>
> Maybe. CMake is there now for anyone to try (it's not yet complete).
> SCons and CMake can co-exist so we can experiment before making any
> decision.

Ok.

> We rely on a home-baked SCons (simula-scons), whereas CMake is
> maintained by others. simula-scons is hard for the uninitiated
> (including me) to work with. CMake seems easier (twe'll see if that's
> true after playing around with it). There are quite a few test files
> already available of the shelf for dependencies, and it also has a nice
> GUI which I think users will appreciate.

I see these points. I wonder how the daily user experience will be with CMake.
Any unessesary recompilations?

I have to say that SCons, together with the homebrewed simula-scons have
fitted my need very well. I have also been able to use simula-scons for other
softwares.

That said, I know of several large code bases (KDE included) that ditched
SCons for CMake for the same reasons you mention. And I have also been happy
with compiling the CMake dependent libraries DOLFIN depends on.

> Apparently CMake has built-in support for creating packages on Mac which
> is useful.

Ok, and Windows packages?

Johan