Re: Swig director typemaps for ODE solvers

Johan Hake wrote:
On Monday August 23 2010 15:59:15 Benjamin Kehlet wrote:
Hello!

I have been trying to get the python wrappes of the ODE solvers in place
again and learn more about Swig. The wrappers have been broken since the
change from uBLASVector to real*.

Dolfin needs to call functions implemented on the python side, so
directors are needed. This simple typemap seems to do the job:

%typemap(directorin) double* ODE_ARGIN
{
   // Get the length of the arrays
   int n = size();
   $input = PyArray_SimpleNewFromData(1, &n, NPY_DOUBLE, $1_name);
}

Some questions from a Swig newbie: Is this the preferred way of doing this?
Note that the typemap have to call size() (a member function of class
ODE) to get the length of the array, so I guess it is not possible to
use a more generic typemap.

This is why we instroduced the dolfin::Array class. So speciallized typemaps like this could be avoided. Is there any way you can port the ODE interface to using dolfin::Array instead? Then most of the typemaps should be inplace already.

That shouldn't be too complicated. Or was there a reason for changing to plain c arrays (and not dolfin::Array) in the first place? Anders?

It seems to me that no "directorargout" typemap is needed when returning
arrays, since the numpy arrays are just wrapping the plain c array. Is
this safe?

Yes I think so.

How should "const double*" be handled (I used a const_cast<double *>
when I tested it, to avoid compiler errors)? Is data copying needed here?

Should not be any problem as Python does not know what const is.