[Question #125019]: Assembling matrix over cells and interior facets only

New question #125019 on DOLFIN:

Hi

I am interested in removing the rows and columns of the finite element matrices (for vector electromagnetic problems) associated with zero valued Dirichlet boundary conditions.  It is important that the original degrees of freedom (or a mapping between the two sets) be available so that the solution of a system of equations or an eigenvalue problem can be used to visualize the solution, for example.

The removal of the degrees of freedom has two advantages that I can think of (for my applications at any rate).  The first is that the systems being solved will be smaller.  The second is of particular concern to me as I am often solving eigenvalue problems and the unity eigenvalues that are introduce when applying the Dirichlet BCs in their current form contaminate the spectrum in many of my examples.

Any thoughts or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Evan

PS. I know that I have asked this before, but due to other projects requiring my attention, I have not been able to focus on this and achieve a proper solution.