[Question #136409]: facet spaces

New question #136409 on DOLFIN:

Hi -- Is there a way to implement methods that use finite element spaces on edges of a two-dimensional mesh (or on faces of a three-dimensional mesh)?  In "hybridized" methods (such as the hybridized Raviart-Thomas method) and many newer DG methods, such spaces are important.

More concretely, let lambda be a trial function that when restricted to each mesh edge is a polynomial (and with no further continuity), and let v be a Raviart-Thomas test function. Can I assemble a form  that equals the sum of the integrals of lambda * dot(v,n) over the boundary of every mesh element? (Here n is the outward unit normal of each element.)

If there is a demo, please point me to it. Much thanks, --Jay