Re: [noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: [Branch ~dolfin-core/dolfin/main] Rev 5359: Add singleton ID generator class.]

On 06/12/10 16:34, Johan Hake wrote:
On Sunday December 5 2010 12:23:51 Anders Logg wrote:
On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 04:36:56PM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:
On 05/12/10 16:31, Anders Logg wrote:
It would be good to move the id() function to the Variable class. That
way we have it for free for all classes that subclass Variable (which
are most classes). The overhead will be minimal.

I'm not so sure. It needs to be used with some care in the
multi-threaded case, and putting it in Variable would mean that we
have to worry about thread issues for any Variable sub-class.

If we make it thread safe for one case (Mesh), wont it be threadsafe for all
other cases?

Yes, but how can it be made thread-safe?

Yes, maybe. But we should at least make the id() a derived property
for Mesh. We can put the unique_id member variable and the id member
function in a separate class named "ID" (or similar). Then Mesh can
derive from both Variable and ID. That way, we can easily add the
property to other classes when we need it.