Re: [Question #145534]: Dirac Delta Function

On Wednesday February 16 2011 09:07:57 Garth N. Wells wrote:
> On 16/02/11 16:54, Johan Hake wrote:
> > Question #145534 on DOLFIN changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/dolfin/+question/145534
> >
> > Johan Hake proposed the following answer:
> >
> > On Wednesday February 16 2011 08:48:38 Anders Logg wrote:
> >> Question #145534 on DOLFIN changed:
> >> https://answers.launchpad.net/dolfin/+question/145534

> >> Anders Logg proposed the following answer:

> >> This is not supported.
> >
> > I am also interested in this. What would it require to implement? Changes
> > to UFL, FFC, DOLFIN?
>
> A lot of changes. It would require being able to integrate over
> surfaces/lines within a cell.
>
> UFL can be stretched to do this, but extentions to FFC and DOLFIN are
> needed. Take a look at the modelling discontinuities chapter in the
> FEniCS book ;).

Looking forward to do that!

A naive thought would be to introduce a DeltaDiracFunction which evaluates to
zero for all but a given coordinates which need to coincide with a vertex. But
I guess we need to prevent DOLFIN to interpolate the function during assemble,
and just evaluate it at the quadrature points, where it evaluates to zero?

Johan