Re: Mesh coloring

On Monday February 21 2011 08:18:18 Garth N. Wells wrote:
> On 17/02/11 21:28, Johan Hake wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I have a not so large 3D mesh of some 50K vertices, generated from some
> > geometry (not UnitCube).
> >
> > When I set
> >
> >   parameters.num_threads = 2
> >
> > and try to assemble I just get:
> >   Coloring mesh.
> >
> > and then it seems it wont find a solution... I had to break it because it
> > nearly hang the computer for some 5 min.
> >
> > Have anyone experience the same? Is there any way to controll the
> > coloring?
>
> It's had minimal testing, so issues can be expected. Can you post your
> solver? 50k vertices is not very big, so I would expect it to be pretty
> fast.

Yes I would expect that too. I have used the coloring on other meshes with
success.

The mesh can be downloaded from here:

  <http://folk.uio.no/hake/trouble.xml.gz>

To reproduce the trouble just run:

  from dolfin import *
  mesh = Mesh('trouble.xml.gz')
  V = FunctionSpace(mesh, "CG", 1)
  assemble(Function(V)*dx)
  parameters.num_threads = 2
  assemble(Function(V)*dx)

The mesh has two distinct domains, but that shouldnto be causing the trouble,
as other I have successfully colored other such meshes. I guess it can be the
particular mesh that causes coloring to stall. It is generated using tetgen.

At the end of the day I have to wait untill we support subdomains in the
OpenMPAssembler as I am heavily using these...

Johan