[Question #149906]: Stokes equation only over part of the mesh

New question #149906 on DOLFIN:

Hi

I want to solve the steady state (2d) Stokes equation only over a part of my mesh. I tried doing that by manually setting the velocity to zero in the "solid" area, i.e. I gave a DirichletBC not only over a 1d boundary but over a 2d domain. However when I did so, the whole solution was zero. Strangely this also happens when I set this DirichletBC to some non-zero value. My next try was to solve the integral in the variational problem only over my "fluid" domain, i.e. I replaced "dx" by "dx(1)" in the definition of the variational form with an appropriate meshfunction that set my fluid domain to 1. However this had no effect at all.

What is the best way to do this?

Thank you!