SubSystemsManager mess

Our 'automatic' initialisation of MPI and PETSc is a real mess at the
moment. It seemed to work before by good luck. The major issue is
controlling order in the singleton class SubSystemsManager. For example,
I see that the function SubSystemsManager::init_mpi is called, which set
variables to take responsibility of MPI, and *after* this the
SubSystemsManager constructor is called, which resets that flags. The
end result is that MPI is not finalized.

I don't see an option other robust option than explicit 'initialise'
(and maybe 'finalise') function calls. Any other suggestions?