[Question #151961]: Mixed problem where one unknown function is defined on the boundary

Question #151961 on DOLFIN changed:

Description changed to:
I want to solve a mixed problem where there is one of the unknown
functions which is defined in the interior of the domain and the other
defined on the boundary. The two are coupled. My plan was to use mixed
elements and I started to implement the following simplified problem:

from dolfin import *

mesh = UnitSquare(32,32)
bcmesh=BoundaryMesh(mesh)

# Choose finite element vector space
U = FunctionSpace(mesh, "Lagrange", 1)
P = FunctionSpace(bcmesh, "Lagrange", 1)

W=U*P

(u, p) = TrialFunctions(W)
(v, q) = TestFunctions(W)

# Construct bilinear and linear form
(u,p) = TrialFunction(W)
(v,q) = TestFunction(W)

dt=0.1

a = u*v*dx+alpha*inner(grad(u), grad(v))*dx-p*vds+(1+dt)*p*q*ds

I get an error message when executing W=U*P

I wonder if Fenics is able to solve such problem. I believe that my
question is actually the same as question 150806 sent 03/28/2011.

Thank you very much for your help!

Xavier Raynaud.