Re: [Question #155708]: VariationalProblem(J, F, bc, nonlinear=True) do not work

Question #155708 on DOLFIN changed:

Johan Hake proposed the following answer:
On Tuesday May 3 2011 07:23:20 Anne Kværnø wrote:
> New question #155708 on DOLFIN:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/dolfin/+question/155708
>
> The test program nlPoisson_vp2.py do not work. I got the following error
> message
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "nlPoisson_vp2.py", line 55, in <module>
>     problem = VariationalProblem(J, F, bc, nonlinear=True)
> TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'nonlinear'
>
> I am using Ubuntu 10.10, python 2.6.6 and dolfin 0.9.10
>
> On a different computer, using Ubuntu 10.04, python 2.6.5 and dolfin 0.9.9,
> this test program worked perfectly fine.

The interface to a nonlinear VariationalProblem changed between these two
releases. Take a look at the docstring of VariationalProblem.

In essence: Just change the order of the forms. Put the nonlinear (linear in
the test function) form first, and the linearised Jacobian as the second form.
Then will the VariationalProblem be interpreted as a Nonlinear problem. Also
skip the "nonlinear" argument.

If you ask me, I think this change is abit too magic and it is not clear at
all that this is what to do ;)