Re: [Question #158693]: Finite Volume in FEniCS

Question #158693 on DOLFIN changed:

Neilen Marais posted a new comment:
Hi Luis,

I don't actually know much about fluid dynamics, (I'm an
electromagnetics guy) but if by conservative you mean lossless (i.e.
energy is conserved) in the case of lossless materials, then I think it
is down to using the correct time integration scheme. For many problems
you need to use a symplectic integrator:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symplectic_integrator, or depending of the
FEM forumlation you start with, something like the Newmark-Beta method
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newmark-beta_method.

As for FEM/FVM equivalencies, again, I am not an expert in the
particular field, but in general there are many methods that can be
shown to be equivalen to the FEM given the correct test, trial and
matrix integration schemes. In my field, it is quite easy to show
equivalence between time-domain FEM methods and the finite difference
time domain (FDTD) method.