Re: VariationalProblem interface

On 21/06/11 08:58, Anders Logg wrote:
> Thanks for looking into this. So it looks like this will work out
> fine. So are there any objections to changing the VariationalProblem
> (which depends on the order of arguments) to the more explicit
>
>   LinearVariationalSolver
>   NonlinearVariationalSolver
>
> *solver* classes (instead of problem classes so that it's consistent
> with the way we treat la),

What about also having

  LinearVariationalProblem
  NonlinearVariationalProblem

as more-or-less containers for defining the problem. Something that
these may be useful for is writing and reading restart files (especially
in parallel),

  // Create problem
  LinearVariationProblem problem(......);

  // Write check point
  problem.checkpoint("restart_file.hdf5");

or

  File f("restart_file.hdf5");
  f << problem;

We could then have a common

  VariationalSolver variation_solver(problem, linear_solver, . . . );

interface.

Garth

> and adding on top of this the free function
> solve() as a shortcut:
>
>   solve(a == L, ...)
>   solve(F == 0, ...)
>
> If not, I can get started on implementing this.
>
> --
> Anders
>

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 09:36:18AM +0200, Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
>> On 15 June 2011 13:06, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Would this work? What it does is to define a simple Equation class
>>> that holds a pair of forms (lhs, rhs) but can still be used for
>>> comparisons.
>>
>> Short story:
>> I'm pretty sure this will work out fine, except that the
>> Equation.__eq__ function must be dropped or changed
>> as explained below.
>>

>> The details:
>>
>>> class Equation:
>>>
>>>    def __init__(self, lhs, rhs):
>>>        self.lhs = lhs
>>>        self.rhs = rhs
>>

>> Allowing the syntax (a == L) == True has severe pitfalls,
>> and I see no use for it. It breaks the Python model.
>> In general, <expression> == True is not good python code,
>> as many boolean expressions are allowed to return non-bool
>> objects. That's why this works out in the first place, so we
>> should respect that :)
>>
>> Anyway, we only need bool(a == L) to say "if a == L" and use
>> a and L in dicts and sets. So this would have to change:
>>
>> (class Equation)
>>>    def __eq__(self, other):
>>>        if isinstance(other, bool):
>>>            return self.__nonzero__() == other
>>>        else:
>>>            return repr(self) == repr(other)
>>
>> It can eventually be replaced with this:
>>
>>    def __eq__(self, other):
>>        return isinstance(other, Equation) and\
>>            bool(self.lhs == other.lhs) and\
>>            bool(self.rhs == other.rhs)
>>

>> As a generic implementation pattern, this should rather
>> use comparison functions from lhs and rhs:
>>
>>>    def __nonzero__(self):
>>>        return repr(self.lhs) == repr(self.rhs)
>>     def __nonzero__(self):
>>         return self.lhs.eval_equals(self.rhs) # or another name, maybe
>> __cmp__ == 0
>>
>> But for this particular case, it's probably ok since lhs and rhs are always
>> Form objects, and repr is used in that single __eq__ implementation today.
>>
>> Note that I have only evaluated this for Form/Equation, my conclusion
>> that I guess this is ok does not extend to any other part of the universe...
>> E.g., if we were to use this trick for Expr as well, it could have severe
>> performance penalties, so that's not something to do in a hurry.
>>
>> Martin
>>

>>> class Form:
>>>
>>>    def __init__(self, a):
>>>        self.a = a