How does dolfin.DirichletBC calculate dofs?

Hi,

I'm calculating a surface interpolation in a 3D space by using
DirichletBC. I'm using Nedelec tet elements. The mechanics are exactly
the same as for specifying a non-homogenous Dirichlet BC, except that
I am calling it over and over inside a loop to post-process electric
near-fields into far-field quantities. Hence, it is somewhat
performance critical.

IOW, I do:

V = dolfin.FunctionSpace(...)
u = dolfin.Function(V)
bc = dolfin.DirichletBC(V, BC_expr)
bc.apply(u.vector())

I would just like to know how bc.apply() goes about approximating
BC_expr. Does it take the estimated degree of BC_expr into account, or
does it only take the degree of V into account? And is there any way
to control this?

Thanks
Neilen

Follow ups