Re: NonlinearVariationalProblem interface

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 04:39:04PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
> I'm not sold on the NonlinearVariationalProblem interface. I would
> prefer a constructor takes the Jacobian as an argument. It's much
> cleaner to do things at construction and removes the need to later
> attach the Jacobian.

The point is that one should be able to define a nonlinear problem
with or without a Jacobian. Not all nonlinear solvers need a Jacobian.

I agree that it's in general cleaner to require as much data as
possible at the time of construction, but think that the handling of
the Jacobian data is quite clean: it's a shared pointer that may be
null and the nonlinear solver can call has_jacobian to check whether
it has been specified.