Re: QPL and DOLFIN

On 08/22/2011 07:44 PM, Johan Hake wrote:
> On Monday August 22 2011 10:39:33 Anders Logg wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:22:44AM -0700, Johan Hake wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> A recent email discussion with Andre made me aware (again) of
>>> the incompatability between QPL and GPL. Not sure we have
>>> settled this issued, but
>>>
>>> I googled it and found the following link:
>>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
>>>
>>> scroll down to QPL. Here they suggest the following solution:
>>> However, if you have written a program that uses QPL-covered
>>> library (called FOO), and you want to release your program
>>> under the GNU GPL, you can easily do that. You can resolve the
>>> conflict for your program
>>>
>>> by adding a notice like this to it: As a special exception, you
>>> have permission to link this program with the FOO library and
>>> distribute executables, as long as you follow the requirements
>>> of the GNU GPL in regard to all of the software in the
>>> executable aside from FOO.
>>>
>>> You can do this, legally, if you are the copyright holder for
>>> the program. Add it in the source files, after the notice that
>>> says the program is covered by the GNU GPL.
>>>
>>> For this to work all copyright holders need to agree. Not sure
>>> we need another author content process to use this solution
>>> though.
>>
>> Andre also mentioned to me that we actually don't need those
>> special QPL pieces of CGAL (but can use GTS instead with improved
>> efficiency) so it might not be a problem. Andre knows more about
>> this.
>
> Then we "just" need to reimplement that part... Sounds tedious.

Yes and No.  I have already done a substantial part along the way
while I worked on my overlapping mesh implementation. For the
collision detection part I don't see any problems. But I have to
investigate
the distance computation part a bit. There exists some functionality
in GTS, but you have to supply some distance function, computing
distance between a query object and a entity.

- --
Andre