Re: Boost MPI

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Johan Hake <johan.hake@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What worked out nicely? The backport of the whole boost to Lucid?

The backport was no problem. I meant that building DOLFIN and running
the DOLFIN tests with the backported Boost packages worked out nicely.

> Have you
> rebuilt any boost dependent libraries?

I had to rebuild UFC to get the DOLFIN tests to run without errors.
Nothing else was rebuilt.

> Also, what with other Lucid packages
> which depends on boost? Will these not work anymore?

Yes, they should work as before.

> Can the old and new boost
> packages reside beside eachother, and we just pick the new boost for our
> FEniCS installation?

Yes, they can live together, except for the libboost-foo-dev packages.
That is, when installing the backported libboost-foo-dev packages, the
libboost-foo-1.40-dev packages will be replaced by the
libboost-foo-1.42-dev packages. This shouldn't lead to any problems
with the packages, however, if someone has built some program manually
against the original libboost-foo-dev packages, they could be forced
to rebuild their program.

Maybe the safest option would be to turn off MPI in the PPA for Lucid
and set up a different PPA with DOLFIN built against the backported
Boost packages and with MPI turned on? This way no one would be forced
to upgrade their Boost packages and still get the latest DOLFIN.

Johannes