Re: 1.0 and new features

Here's a mix of somewhat overlapping facts and my opinions, opinions
may differ on which is which ;)

- It is more imporant that FEniCS 1.0 corresponds with the book
release than any single new feature. This has been promised publicly
many times.

- It is more important to have a stable bugfree 1.0 release than any
single new feature. This requires a period of bugfixes only.

- FEniCS won't stop developing after 1.0. Your favourite feature can wait.

- Each new feature adds more test work. The beta so far have been more
like an alpha, with several fairly big additions.

- Many of my reported bugs the last couple of months have
been related to feature changes from after mid June.

- All new features can wait until post 1.0.

- Release beta2 asap, do only bug fixes for a couple of weeks, release
beta3, more bugfixes, release rc, hopefully no bugs to fix, release
1.0 final.

- Bugfixes that requires redesign of any significant size should be
postphoned, worked around, or otherwise managed in a way that doesn't
incur major changes.

If you want 1.0 released in a version that matches the book, you need
to make releasing 1.0 the highest priority, above any new features. If
1.0 should be usable, it needs a testing period with only bugfixes.

If some people need to continue working on features on the side,
either do that in a side branch, or make a branch for 1.0-beta2.
Bugfixes should then be done in the beta2 branch and merged into
trunk.

Martin