Re: 1.0 and new features

On Wednesday October 5 2011 07:48:32 Garth N. Wells wrote:
> On 5 October 2011 13:01, Martin Sandve Alnæs <martinal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > A related topic is this: I think it would be a good idea to keep a
> > 1.0.x bugfix-only branch after the 1.0 release, and let all new
> > features go toward 1.1. This could be a general pattern for future
> > releases, or just for 1.0 and other particularly chosen future
> > releases. Otherwise a critical bug hard to find bug in 1.0 will
> > significantly reduce the value of the book. "Bugs" like "this doesn't
> > scale perfectly in parallell" would of course _not_ be fixed in 1.0.x
> > but be considered new features in 1.1++.
>
> Having developers work in their own branches, at times quite
> extensively, has worked well which is why I suggested offline recently
> that we start a 1.1 branch now. This way developments are not held
> back, and we avoid new developments compromising 1.0.

I also agree with Martin's points, and I also think it would be nice to have a
stable branch for back porting bug fixes. We would then need a buildbot for
both the development branch and the stable branch.

I guess we also need to establish a policy for what bug fixes should be
backported? A simple rule would be to backport only critical bugs, which does
not change the syntax.

What is the preffered way of cherry picking revisions from the development
version into a stable branch? Would it be:

  bzr merge -r 6003 ../trunk

Johan