Re: buildbot failure in FEniCS Buildbot on dolfin-linux64-exp

On Monday October 31 2011 23:46:46 Johannes Ring wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 6:06 AM, Johan Hake <johan.hake@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is one of:
> >
> >  flufl.lock, fcntl
> >
> > installed on the buildbots? If looks like the file locking mechanism is
> > not working on there.
>
> fcntl is available on all the buildbots.

I figured this was the case the moment I sent the email. The error message at
the buildbot was presented just before the parallel runs, which made me
suspicius of the failing had something to do with runs in parallel.
So never mind...

> Should I try to install
> flufl.lock on this buildbot?

That is probably not worth it as flufl.lock is only needed on clusters which
need file lock over nfs.

All this said there is a unit test (Expression), which tends to fail sometimes
on the linux64-exp. This is just terribly annoying. That it also triggers some
logic bug in instant where a file which does not excist is copied doesn't make
it better...

Looking just a bit more into it, it looks like it is Expressions (note the
last 's'), which fails. I suggest we remove this function, as it introduces
complex logics (compressing several Expressions into one instant call), on top
of something that is already complex (JIT compilations of a single
Expression). It is also not mentioned in the book. I have checked.

Then I suggest we reconsider the copying of compile.log file to
~/.instant/error, as it is not working as intented. Not sure what we should
do, but maybe we could set an environment variable

  INSTANT_DISPLAY_COMPILE_LOG

on the buildbot, and if that is set we print the content of compile.log. I can
then set the copying of files within a try clause and silently ignore the
exception. Not pretty but we can issue a warning that the file does not
excist.

Johan