Re: interface renaming for IntersectionOperator / name suggestions

On 11/09/2011 03:50 PM, Johan Hake wrote:
> On Wednesday November 9 2011 12:07:57 Andre Massing wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have implemented
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dolfin/+spec/bbtree-all-codim
>>
>> including some unittests, but there remain some questions.
>
> Nice!
>
>> 1. The name IntersectionOperator is kind of unfortunate and
>> cryptic. In the end it is just a wrapper for a bounding box tree
>> so I was thinking about renaming it to something more
>> descriptive, e.g. BoundingVolumeTree or BVTree...Any suggestions,
>> wishes, feelings about that? That brings me to another point.
>
> I am afraid that BVTree does not tell us too much about what we can
> do with it.

Yes, very true. You have to know what a bbtree is usually used for,
which we cannot /should not expect from the typical user who don't
care much about the implementation details... I am already convinced
that something with Tree would be a bad name.

BVTree is a name which represents the name of the underlying structure
and
> algorithms, right? Can you list possibe things we can do with such
> a beast. Maybe we can find a good name based on that?

You can basically do what a CGAL tree can do which means:
- -find any/all intersections between entities of mesh and another given
entity or point.
- -find the closest point and entity for entities of mesh and given point
- -compute distance between for entities of mesh and given point.

>> 2. Since a bbtree is available for all entity dimension it might
>> be nice to have specialized, ready to use name for them
>> (especially with the python interface in mind and similar to what
>> we have for MeshEntity already)? For instance CellBVTree,
>> FacetBVTree are names popping up in my mind. Are they any
>> suggestions or preferences regarding this?
>
> Sounds good, if we go with BVTree then ;)

I agree on that we should not :)

>> 3. Johan suggested at some point to expose the distance
>> functions available in CGAL AABBTree
>>
>> http://www.cgal.org/Manual/latest/doc_html/cgal_manual/AABB_tree_ref/Class_

AABB_tree.html#Cross_link_anchor_1724

>> which I think is a good idea.  Any objections for adding that to
>> DOLFIN?
>
> Not from me ;)

I kind of guessed that ;)

Andre