Re: Removal of constructor Function(V, x)?

On 21 November 2011 13:07, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 11:55:43PM +0100, Anders Logg wrote:

>> > Yes.
>>
>> Does it work? In parallel?
>>
>> Does it not work to instead use
>>
>>   x = u.vector()
>>
>> ?
>>
>> If you need it, we should keep it but add an error message that it
>> doesn't work in parallel, unless it does...
>
> Any more input on this? There are several options:
>
> 1. Remove this constructor
>
> 2. Throw an error when running in parallel
>
> 3. Check that the input vector makes sense
>
> The last one is problematic since I don't see an easy way to perform
> the check, other than calling get_local and having it fail.

I haven't heard any reason why it can't be removed. We may need to fix
assignment (re earlier discussion on assign) to just copy values and
not the whole object so that a user can get the vector and then assign
values to it without messing up the ghosting.

Garth