Re: SymmetricAssembler and SystemAssembler

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 01:33:38PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
> Can someone remind me why we have the two classes SymmetricAssembler
> and SystemAssembler instead of just one?

SymmetricAssembler adds some extra functionality not provided by
SystemAssembler (symmetric modification of RSH vector), but I suspect
it does so at an extra cost, which is why SymmetricAssembler is still
there.

I used to think it is a problem to have multiple assemblers, but I'm
not so worried about it now.

But even if we have multiple assemblers, it is important that we have
one really good standard default assembler that tries to provide all
functionality of the "special-purpose" assemblers, as long as it can
do so without overhead.