Re: Domains in assembly

On 09/03/2012 10:24 AM, Garth N. Wells wrote:
> On 3 September 2012 09:06, Marie E. Rognes <meg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Agree!

>>> I think that this is very clumsy and mixes concepts. Say I have one
>>> mesh but want to perform two different simulations with different bcs.
>>> It's opaque. What happens if I have markers in a Mesh and markers
>>> attached to a Form -> ambiguous.
>>>
>>> Better would be to store the markers as part of the mesh, but pull
>>> them out and attach them to a form. I was already planning to have
>>> mesh markers in a mesh file that are identified by strings (e.g.
>>> "top", "inner sphere", etc) rather than  integers (which are error
>>> prone because they convey no meaning). A user could query which
>>> markers a mesh has (via a set of identifier strings), and attach the
>>> right ones.
>>

>> Yes, I would find this less confusing and more useful.
>>

> Yes, I was getting confused. Also, I was trying convert a common 3rd
> party format the uses names for sub-domains.

>>> This is nice.

>> I think in order to cut the third one, there needs to be a reliable and
>> flexible way of replacing subdomains in a given form cf Johan's comment.
>> This might exist today, but I'm not entirely sure.
>>

> Should be easy via shared pointers.

Not sure how to do this robustly in the context of a ufl.Form, which is
what a user is exposed to in the Python interface. Now one is not
allowed to alter:

  ufl.Form.cell_domains

We could require the user to instantiate a dolfin.Form, then it is
straightforward. But that solution introduces another abstraction, which
is not intuitive.

Johan