Re: Slow PetscInitialize?

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 06:38:23AM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
>>      > You also have MPI, to which PETSc will make calls. I haven't
>>      used the > Ubuntu OpenMPI package for a long time because I
>>      kept finding bugs in > it (and it doesn't support threads), so
>>      now I just build my own MPI > and don't bother with the MPI
>>      package.  I've been trying various options today. I had trouble
>>      getting MPICH to compile on my machine and building OpenMPI
>>      gives the same result as the Ubuntu OpenMPI.  I'm not 100% sure
>>      the Ubuntu OpenMPI is not being picked up. I removed it first
>>      but needed to install it again since the boost package depends
>>      on it. Do you use the package for boost or do you install that
>>      locally too?
>>
>>    Â IÂ have almost everything installed locally to avoid pulling in
>>    unwanted versions of MPI, BLAS and LAPACK.
>>    Garth
>
> Do we have that documented somewhere? It would be good to get this
> into Dorsal (if possible) to make it easy to share the knowledge of
> how to build 'hpc' versions of FEniCS on some standard systems.

Not documented, but the issue is simple: with dynamically linked
libraries in standard paths it's mayhem trying figure out what's being
linked when different libraries link to different library versions  of
the same package..

I hope you're not referring to 'standard HPC' systems. They don't exist.

> Are you still running Ubuntu?

Yes.

Garth