Re: Pushing removed revisions

On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 10:41:04AM +0100, Anders Logg wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 09:26:09AM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > bzr branch lp:dolfin clean
> > > cd clean
> > > bzr merge ../<path-to-complexly-merged-branch>
> > > bzr commit
> > > bzr push lp:dolfin
> > >

> > The 'clean' branch is not necessarily  clean, which then requires
> > branching lp:dolfin, which is huge.
>
> How can it not be clean? If you already have a 'clean' branch, then
>
>   rm -r clean
>   bzr branch lp:dolfin clean # takes ~5 seconds if you've use init-repo
>
> I don't see how this branch can be anything else than clean.

Related to this merging back and forth, could we use rebasing to get a
cleaner history? The above suggested workflow (necessary to avoid
removed revisions and confuse the buildbot) often results in histories
and commit messages like this:

revno: 7181 [merge]
committer: Anders Logg <logg@glaurung>
branch nick: trunk
timestamp: Wed 2012-12-05 11:48:47 +0100
message:
  merge:
    Anders Logg 2012-12-05 Minor formatting fix
modified:
  dolfin/nls/PETScSNESSolver.cpp
    revno: 7167.1.3
    committer: Anders Logg <logg@glaurung>
    branch nick: trunk-logg
    timestamp: Wed 2012-12-05 11:42:27 +0100
    message:
      Minor formatting fix
    modified:
      dolfin/nls/PETScSNESSolver.cpp

So a small fix was made in a file, then that could not be pushed
directly to trunk but had to be merged in. So we get two changesets
instead of one for a small fix which seems silly and is hard to follow.

Rebasing support is included in the bzr-rewrite package, but using
it might be in total conflict with the append_revisions_only
flag.

Whatever method we settle on, I think the motives should be:

1. simple and flexible workflow (is cumbersome at the moment)
2. working buildbot (possibly after hacking the buildbot script)