Re: Restriction removal / name change

B1;3400;0cOn Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 05:54:08PM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:
> I think the class 'Restriction' should be re-named to make the name
> more meaningful and representative of what it is. Even better, the
> functionally should be put in SubMesh. Reading the description of
> both classes, it's not clear why a new class is needed.

The name can be changed but a Restriction differs from a SubMesh.

A SubMesh is a completely new mesh. There are mappings to the parent
mesh but a FunctionSpace on a SubMesh will not be aware of the
possibly bigger space.

A Restriction can be used to build a FunctionSpace on a restricted
portion of a bigger mesh. So the Mesh itself is not modified but the
FunctionSpace is restricted to a portion of it.

It might be possible to merge the two but then a flag will be needed
to specify which of the two cases is going to be used. We've also had
problems in the past with one class trying to do many things so I
suggest we keep them separate.

I've been working on getting Restriction to run in parallel. I'm
tracking down some bugs but it's mostly in place.