Merging problems

I might have to take back what I said before about there being no issues
with merging and the append-revisions-only tag, but for a different reason
than the one that came up in the discussion last time.

The merge itself goes fine, but there's  a practical issue with merging in
a separate repository. Here's what happens:

1. bzr branch lp:dolfin dev (get a clean copy of dolfin)
2. bzr merge lp:~some-user/dolfin/some-patch (get a patch/branch from a
user, in this case Jan Blechta)
3. bzr commit -m merge (commit the merge)
4. bzr push lp:dolfin (try to push, didn't work since Garth had pushed some
HDF5 updates)
5. bzr merge lp:dolfin (get stuff from trunk)
6. bzr commit -m merge (do the merge)
7. bzr push lp:dolfin (won't work because of append-revisions only and will
just stall, no error message)
8. cd .. && bzr branch lp:dolfin merge (ok, so follow my own recipe for
merging in a separate branch)
9. cd merge && bzr merge ../dev (merge into clean copy of trunk)
10. bzr commit -m merge (do the merge)
11. bzr push lp:dolfin (ok so now finally the merge is on Launchpad)

This all works as expected, but now the problem comes when I want to
continue to work on the code in the directory dev, or merge other patches
into that branch (like Patrick's branch waiting for review). My dev branch
is out of sync with trunk and can never be pushed there, without needing to
go to the separate merge directory again. I would need to merge trunk
(including the merge of the merge of the previous patch) into dev, then
merge the new patch, then merge that merged patch from a separate clean
branch and then push to trunk... The main problem here is that I have my
DOLFIN build in the dev directory and I don't want to rebuild the entire
library every time I look at a patch or edit some code.

Does anyone have a good suggestion to this?

GitHub is starting to look more tempting...