Re: Pythian Group: Presentation: Drizzle is not MySQL with Changes by Brian Aker

On Nov 27, 2009, at 10:13 AM, Sheeri K. Cabral wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Tim Soderstrom
> <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 25, 2009, at 7:59 PM, Morgan Tocker wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tim,

>>> It could have been a speaker in another room.  The venue had one of
>>> those open space concepts (which was great!), but I can see how this
>>> makes recording more challenging.
>>>

>> Aha well that makes a good bit of sense. Towards the end of the video it ended up being a bit better. Beggars can't be choosers, but if I could make a request to using a lapel mic I think it would be a non-issue. Really, though, the talk was well worth it, despite the minor irritation with the audio. Really exciting work!
>
> Unfortunately lapel mics are not possible, particularly with the
> camera that was used.  Damn Sony and their proprietary
> attachments....there's only one place to put a mic of any kind, and
> the mic was in "directional" mode at the time.  :(
>
> The perils of partitioning the "open" space have been duly noted and
> we'll consider that in future OpenSQLCamp locations.

There's not straight up line-in? With that you could just use a separate mic amp and be set. That or, since it's all digital, perhaps you can record the audio separately? Probably already getting to be over the top for a session video though but could work.

It ended up not being quite as bad as I made it out to be once I got used to it. The new fancy Drizzle stuff was well worth it. The REST stuff in particular seems pretty cool (though I'm personally still a hardcore SQL bawler). I also get a chuckle everytime Aker says the F work in front of an audience :)