Re: Improving the Engine API (was Re: New PBXT Drizzle-specific storage engine...)

Hi!

On Dec 3, 2009, at 9:03 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:

> Since this actually lends itself to my current docket of work, I will work on implementing these suggestions this week and will post back to this mail with a link to the code review of the relevant merge for you to add your input.

A renaming of external_lock() also needs to happen as well.  With MyISAM soon to be gone this becomes a bit more straightforward to remove.

Paul, store_lock() is just about gone at this point. I am working out the changes to alter table at the moment (I did a review with Stewart on the phone last night). I am not sure how much you rely on it, but expect a push that will completely remove it within the month.

I am still finding odds and ends in Cursor that should be up in the SE. Once I have it all gone and the new locks in place I am going to do a review of cursor. From playing around with the BDB and Innodb Embedded interface I have some ideas on what should perhaps be done. I believe most of those changes will wait until next year though,... and maybe we can talk about that in person at a conference.

On a completely related note, I am ponding a name change of "Storage Engine"  to "Data Management", since that is really more what we are doing. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,
	-Brian