Re: Improving the Engine API

Hi Jay,

Yes, how ALTER TABLE, TRUNCATE, CHECK, etc is handled does depend (almost entirely) on the engine.

I actually think that, for the moment anyway, the statement type will be sufficient.

Maybe I have misunderstood what you mean by pluggable statements, but lets assume some engine adds a custom statement: "ENCRYPT TABLE".

My engine will not know what type of lock to acquire for this statement, but on the other hand, it will also not know how to execute the statement. So it must reject the statement outright.

Which means an engine needs a list of statements it supports, and everything else must be rejected. So the engine needs to know the statement type.

I think it is important that we distinguish between statements and operations.

In general, MySQL implements the ALTER TABLE using 3 operations: create-table, rename-table and delete-table.

The cool thing is: if my engine can execute these 3 operations, then it can perform all ALTER TABLE statements, although the implementation is not optimal. To implement this better, the engine needs to support a custom alter-table operation. But the engine's alter-table operation may, for example, only support ADD INDEX.

So basically, the engine examines the statement in startStatement(), add decides on one of the following:

- Use the default execution method for the statement
- Use the engine custom statement method
- Reject the statement as not implemented

It also decides (and maybe acquires) the locks it will need, and does any other statement initialization.

So here is an example of the call sequence, if the engine uses the default method for alter table:

startStatement("ALTER TABLE", "t1") --> return: use default method
createTable("tmp")
// Copy all rows from "t1" to "tmp" using standard cursor operations
renameTable("t1", "tmp2") // t1 --> tmp2
renameTable("tmp", "t1") // tmp --> t1
dropTable("tmp2")
endStatement()

So Drizzle does not know anything about table locks. The engine knows it is in an ALTER TABLE statement, and knows (for example) that table t1 must be read locked when the row copy begins (i.e. when the cursor is opened), and that an exclusive lock is required to rename the table.

And this is how the engine would handle "ADD INDEX", or "ENCRYPT TABLE":

startStatement("ENCRYPT TABLE", "t1") --> return: use custom method
doTableOperation("ENCRYPT TABLE", "t1")
endStatement()

The engine can write table operations to its transaction log, and in this way it could ensure that the entire ALTER TABLE statement is atomic.