Re: Improvements to Storage Engine API

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 02:26:43AM -0800, Monty Taylor wrote:
> Paul McCullagh wrote:
>
> > So in passthruStatement() the engine actually executes the entire SELECT
> > statement, and returns the result rows.
> >
> > This code would only be used if the engine executes the entire SELECT.
> > If the engine executes only parts of the statement, then the cursor
> > interface will be used.
>
> I like this. It would make things like FederatedX EXTREMELY easier. (can
> haz passthru. k thx bye)

and join to local table... boom.

It's a bit all-or-nothing, and that's my problem with it. Try this
with even a subselect where only the subselect is executable by the
engine.

Is it not better being consulted in optimiser (to make decisions on if
certain transformations should be done or not) and then have the
engine able to change the execution plan to its liking (replacing
parts of the tree with objects that go and do things directly)?

--
Stewart Smith