Re: Is Drizzle a developers-only project?

Hi Michael,

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Michael Shadle <mike503@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The only thing missing would be where/how to download, install,
> configure, connect, and possibly a migration guide from MySQL ->
> Drizzle

heh, but that's quite a task, isn't it?

I mean, as I understand it, one of the major features of drizzle is
that it's small and bloatless, and that that's achieved by moving
useful functionality that is not needed for every use-case to plugins.
But that means that many users will actually need to obtain particular
plugins and properly install and configure them. And that's assuming
they know which ones they need for their particular scenario.
Now, assuming the reference documentation for all these plugins
exists, that still means one needs to read all of it before you know
what to get and do.

One of the major challenges will be to make it easy for people with a
DBA role to get up and running so they can try how it fits their use
case.
Preferably, without getting trapped in all kinds of build/installation
issues, and without having intimate familiarity with the "plugin zoo"
(not meaning this in a derogatory sense, just trying to convey the
diversity)

Ideally, 5 minutes of reading should be enough to learn what to
download for the fairly common use case.
Another 5 minutes to read up on any details on basic installation/configuration.

In my experience, it's hard to write something that conveys all you
need to know in just 5 minutes, but maybe that's just me.

kind regards,

Roland