Re: Is Drizzle a developers-only project?

On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 09:11 -0800, Michael Shadle wrote:
> Agreed. PECL is a bit hard to navigate. It gets the job done, and you
> can use command line utils to grab the packages too (that was part of
> my suggestion)

To get even more off-topic: We're happy about contributors! The PHP
project is quite limited on people working on the websites, every help
welcome.

And to justify the mail a bit more: Brian Moon said in this thread about
PHP: "a ./configure && make && make install are the most commonly used
things and things that users _expect_ to be there." Which isn't true.
PHP by default enables only modules which don't depend on external
libraries, so no zlib support, no mysql supprt, no openssl, ... by
default. But as there's no rule without exception: XML support,
depending on libxml2, is enabled by default and some libs (pcre for
instance, sqlite) are bundled and activated, while then again not all
bundled libs are activated (gd, as gd optionally depends on libjpeg,
libpng, ...)

So it's a chaos and no example to follow.

What I find more interesting in PHP is the way modules (extensions) are
handled bythe build system so they can easily be compiled statically in
PHP or as .so and  can be built stand alone without the the complete PHP
sources ...

johannes