Re: Is Drizzle a developers-only project?

Stewart Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 08:53:40AM -0600, Brian Moon wrote:
>> The Mozilla site is a little more user friendly. If you want DBA's
>> who are not, by definition, developers to be able to find and
>> install things, it should be less geeky than PECL.  But, now we are
>> getting specific.  And that can be worked out when the time comes.
>
> I'm pretty opposed to having getting out of tree plugins being the
> norm. It's an excellent way to break every single out of tree plugin
> in the next release.

I think I completely disagree with you on this, but I can't fully parse
your sentence. :) If what you are saying is that you oppose out of tree
plugins existence, then I think that it's a cop-out argument to say
"it's too hard to get right so we shouldn't do it" and I think it's
exactly the kind of punting that got the code in this shape in the first
place.

We currently have out of tree plugins building. It works. It's in the
tree. Done. Yippee.

Now- if what you are saying is that we should not move ALL of the
plugins _OUT_ of the tree, then I agree with that. If it's a plugin and
it's in the tree, it should stay in the tree. However, there is no valid
technical reason any more that a person has to actually have the full
drizzle source code to just compile a plugin- or that a developer needs
to put their plugin into the trunk for it to be managable to deal with.

> We do not have any stable APIs... we have less batshit insane APIs,
> but they're not stable.
>
> As a developer, the question of "where is this used" and "how is this
> used" should not have to be solved by downloading 1,000 sep tarballs,
> extracting them and then trying to work out how the heck to compile
> 1,000 different pieces of software, 500 of which will have borked up
> autotools and 300 of which won't build on your dev box.

This is a straw man. The only thing you need to download to work on your
plugin are drizzle and your plugin. That's two. They're both run by the
exact same build system, and it isn't borked, because I've already fixed
it. Show me an actual example in our system of where this is a problem
and I'll fix it. :)

Monty