Re: Improvements to Storage Engine API

On Jan 4, 2010, at 11:40 PM, Stewart Smith wrote:

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 03:08:18PM -0500, Jay Pipes wrote:
In the long run, I don't think we should be passing anything that is
not a GPB in the storage engine API except possibly a reference to
the current Session object.  GPB messages can be constructed from
anything that is now a struct or class (LEX, JOIN, etc...)  The
advantage to a GPB message is clearly in documentation, versioning
and serialization of course.

Very much disagree.

GPB is designed for IPC with explicit warnings about how you should
not rely on these data structures within your software as data
structures if you're not gonig to be pumping them over the wire (or
otherwise serialising them). There's also explicit advice to copy the
data out of the message into your own data structure if you have
performance critical code.

Using GPB everywhere for DDL isn't an issue - DDL is never that
performance critical. But for actual DML... it gets incredibly so. The
foo() method on a GPB class is infinitile more complex than a getFoo()
{ return foo; } method.

I tend to agree that using GBP for DML (particularly SELECTs) could cause performance problems.

For maximum performance we need to pass structures that are already constructed for internal purposes.

--
Paul McCullagh
PrimeBase Technologies