Re: GSoC Cloud Based Storage Engine

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 22:24:04 +1030, Yanbo Wu <yanbo.wu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jay and Stewart's blogs did help a lot. Now I have a working drizzle
> running in gdb. I am trying to find some small and easy bugs to fix as
> a start, any suggestion which one is good for me?

Have you found anything yet?

There's things like "replace sprintf usage with snprintf or std::string"
which is always good simple fun :)

> About the Cloud Based Storage Engine, here is my understanding and questions, can anybody offer me some suggestion and correction... thanks a lot.
>
> Looking at mysql-awss3, I think the task is same here - implement a cursor (in mysql language it's handler). But I think mysql-awss3 is not a fully working plugin, am I right? It seems only the first non-primary-key field is written. So here is my first question, according to the project description on wiki, "write a Storage Engine (or adapt awss3) for Drizzle - allowing storing and retrieving of blobs from Cloud Storage services such as S3 and Rackspace Files", so only blobs are written to the cloud? If so, what to do with other fields?

I think we should incrementally improve things, and provide
configuration options.

e.g. you could choose to have CSV delimited things in the key,value
store, or a protobuf format. or just blobs.

the simplest possible implementation that's useful is key,value BLOB
only. But we can get more and more useful (scans et al)

So it may be good writing up a feature list (and TODO) for each phase of development.

--
Stewart Smith