Re: Stewart Smith: AlsoSQL

Hi Monty, all,

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Monty Taylor <mordred@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 04/08/2010 03:33 AM, Roland Bouman wrote:
>> Does NDB support a query language? Perhaps I am mistaken but I though
>> it was a kind of API, where you have to pretty much tell the machine
>> exactly what it should do.
>
> Well no - but that's (I think) Stewart's point, and one I've been trying to
> make too. NDB can be thought of as a NoSQL system, and then you can issue
> SQL commands to it via the MySQL layer (and perhaps one day through a
> Drizzle layer)

Thanks! I see now. The part where Stewart mentioned the usefulness of
flexible query languages stuck in my mind, and somehow I thought he
implied the NoSQL databases.
After re-reading, it seems indeed he implied the NoSQL databases don't
have a query language. (or at least, typically don't).

>> I am currently trying to build a quick and dirty PHP script to do this
>> as a proof of concept.
>> If anybody is interested in doing this natively in drizzle, I'd love
>> to help out. (I fear I don't have the skills to jump in and do it on
>> my own)
>
> I'd love to see this. My current queue is too full... but I'm sure there's
> someone who would work on this with you out there. :)

Ok. Well, I'll be at the MySQL UC next week, I understand everybody is
busy, but perhaps we can chat a bit about it, time permitting.

Cheers!

Roland.

--
Roland Bouman
http://rpbouman.blogspot.com/

Author of "Pentaho Solutions: Business Intelligence and Data
Warehousing with Pentaho and MySQL",
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470484322.html