Re: Drizzle in Debian

On Apr 11, 2010, at 11:54 PM, Brian Aker wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Apr 11, 2010, at 1:51 PM, BJ Dierkes wrote:
>
>> Any thoughts on a timeline for that?  I will have to verify with the Fedora community about pushing packages where the upstream source is considered alpha/beta.
>
> Folks who are using Drizzle use one of the releases that come out every two weeks.
>
> When will commercial support happen? I know of two companies who would be happy for me to announce that the will do it, but personally? I feel the software is "ready" when the users tell you that it is.
>
> In other words... there has been 38 releases of libmemcached. Its used all over the place and I have never said that it is "alpha", "beta" or anything. People pick it up and use it.
>

> Do we need to say "this is version 1.0"?

Thanks Brian.  I completely see you're points.  Personally I'm still getting familiar with the internals of Drizzle so I wouldn't be able to say this is stable and that is not.  From a packaging standpoint [regarding Fedora/EPEL] there are restrictions on updates that you can release, mostly that revolve around compatibility.  Meaning if the source update from 2010.03.1314 -> 2010.03.0417 [for example] breaks compatibility and an automatic upgrade without user intervention would render Drizzle busted, that tends to be a blocker for keeping packages inline with the upstream source... unless a hack in the RPM pre/post scripts can resolve it (which is always dirty).

Feedback from Fedora so far has been that there are no restrictions on 'pre-release' software as long as the package maintainer feels the software is ready for a release.  Ideally I would want to be able to keep Fedora packages in line with upstream Drizzle as much as possible which is why I wouldn't want to jump the gun and introduce Drizzle now if say there might be some major refactoring or changes that would introduce significant incompatibilities with the previous version.  If that isn't something we are anticipating, then I'm comfortable moving forward with submitting drizzle once a few more things with the packages are ironed out.

---
derks