Re: BLOB streaming is looking for a home in drizzle

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Brian Aker <brian@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Apr 19, 2010, at 5:55 PM, Barry Leslie wrote:
>
>> 1) The first plugin point is one that just notifies me when a table was
>> dropped or renamed, or when a records is deleted. These notification
>> events
>
> You would want to do this in plugin::StorageEngine on dropTable().
>
> Currently anything that is an engine can "hear it". Adding a plugin point
> into that is fine.

The problem is then he has to create a storage engine plugin for
something that isn't a storage engine.  Everything isn't a hammer.
What Barry needs is a simple plugin point that sends out a
representation of the parsed query tree before the engine gets it.

>> 2) The second  plugin point is one some where after the 'Insert' or
>> 'Update'
>> statement has been processed but before the storage engine gets called.
>> The
>
> So you need a before trigger on insert? Why not use what the replication
> system has at that point?

See above, and Barry's email.  Because it is fired after the storage
engine is notified, and, as Barry mentioned, he needs it before
that...

Barry, I think it is certainly possible to create such plugin points.
The issue is going to be in the prioritization of that work.  I can
probably get to designing the plugin points (base plugin classes to
put into /drizzled/plugin/ and the kernel callbacks to such plugins)
in about a month or so.  In the meantime, you can give it a try and we
can work through things together?  Sorry I can't be much more
help...trying to get a ton completed on the replication side of
things..

One final alternative might be to ask Primebase to sponsor a Google
Summer of Code student who may not be accepted into the program this
year?  We had 48 applicants and have only 8 slots, so there will be a
number who do not get accepted.  Many of these students had excellent
proposals and may be willing to take on the above work?  Just an
idea...trying to think outside the proverbial box. :)

Cheers,

-jay