Re: [Branch ~drizzle-developers/drizzle/staging] Rev 1480: Merge range.

see comment at end

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Padraig O'Sullivan <
osullivan.padraig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Jay!
>
> I can't answer for Brian but at developer day on Friday we discussed
> the optimizer a bit. Basically, I was complaining (as I do) that its
> impossible to work with now since very few of us understand how it
> works and the code is a bit hard to understand.
>
> Brian then said there was a bunch of un-needed code he could remove
> which he would do during the week. I'm assuming that is what is going
> on here.
>
> Also, David Axmark made the awesome suggestion which I really liked of
> just removing things from the optimizer to make it less code and more
> understandable and suffering the performance hit. Since this is
> drizzle with no customers right now, we could add everything we remove
> back later in a more drizzle like fashion. With that in mind, I have a
> branch which removes all code related to count, min, max, sum from the
> optimizer and some of the same stuff Brian removed. I put it at
> lp:~posulliv/drizzle/optimizer-style-cleanup and it creates a
> significant regression so I havn't proposed it for merging. Do you
> have any opinion on this approach?

Id rather see a chunk removed then regressions ran, and if it is a
significant regression file a bug. I suspect there are chunks that can be
removed that will show no regression and some that will, if they get mixed
together you dont have a baseline.