Re: BLOB streaming is looking for a home in drizzle

On 04/20/2010 08:34 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Barry Leslie
<Barry.Leslie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

I am happy to do this myself so long as everyone is agreed on what it is I
should be doing. Simplest for me would be to implement a "data-filter"
plugin API that just does what I need. Ideally it would be better to try and
design it so that it was more general and could be used for other purposes
such as the ability to create trigger like plugins using the 'pre' and
'post' calls in the "data-filter" plugin.

I would propose to model it after the logging plugin and put hooks into it
before and after the calls to the engine level ha_write_row(),
ha_update_row(), and ha_delete_row() calls in the cursor class as well as
pre and post hooks into the StorageEngine dropTable() and renameTable()

This sounds fine to me.  My request would be to make the API send
protobuffer messages that describe the parsed tree, and not pass the
LEX pointer around.  That is welcoming a world of hurt, IMHO.

I agree about not passing around LEX, but I do not agree about using protobuffer message unless there is an actual expectation that this object needs to be serialized either to disk or to the network. Protobuf is great for serialization, but there is no need for the extra cost if it's just an internal class.