Wild feature: query de-duplication

So, one common use for Gearman seems to be running SQL queries through it so that a given query only ever is running once at a given time. This solves one big issue I have seen with a cache stampede. The application servers all run the same queries at the same time. Pushing this logic down to the database server seems like a good idea from where I sit. The server could recognize that there are N connections all running the same query and not try and do all the work needed to send back the result.

What do you guys think? Does this make sense at the database layer? Is the drizzle plugin architecture able to support this type of behavior?

--

Brian.
--------

Follow ups