Re: Wild feature: query de-duplication

It's an interesting idea!

I think it could be quite hard to detect whether the same query will
in fact deliver the same result though - one would have to check to if
the query is affected by the state of the session (values of
session-scoped variables, functions returning session-dependent data
like current_user(), isolation level of an explicit transaction,
probably a lot more things).

(of course - i am not a drizzle dev or engineer - I may be
overestimating the complexity)

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Brian Moon <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, one common use for Gearman seems to be running SQL queries through it so
> that a given query only ever is running once at a given time. This solves
> one big issue I have seen with a cache stampede. The application servers all
> run the same queries at the same time. Pushing this logic down to the
> database server seems like a good idea from where I sit. The server could
> recognize that there are N connections all running the same query and not
> try and do all the work needed to send back the result.
>
> What do you guys think? Does this make sense at the database layer? Is the
> drizzle plugin architecture able to support this type of behavior?
>
> --
>
> Brian.
> --------
> http://brian.moonspot.net/

Roland Bouman
blog: http://rpbouman.blogspot.com/
twitter: @rolandbouman

Author of "Pentaho Solutions: Business Intelligence and Data
Warehousing with Pentaho and MySQL",
http://tinyurl.com/lvxa88 (Wiley, ISBN: 978-0-470-48432-6)

Author of "Pentaho Kettle Solutions: Building Open Source ETL
Solutions with Pentaho Data Integration",
http://tinyurl.com/33r7a8m (Wiley, ISBN: 978-0-470-63517-9)