Re: SHOW CREATE and AUTO_INCREMENT

Stewart Smith <stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> definition somehow and that SHOW CREATE TABLE should give you back
> something fairly close to your initial CREATE TABLE statement.

Not really (think ALTER TABLE).

Rather, I think the idea of SHOW CREATE TABLE is to give a statement that will
re-create the table (except for the rows of data).

Ie. something that allows to implement something like mysqldump for backups.

I guess you could argue from this that the current value of AUTO_INCREMENT
should be shown, not the one from CREATE TABLE. But it is not 100% clear
(since INSERT/UPDATE can also change it). The main thing I dislike with
AUTO_INCREMENT is precisely that the semantics are too complicated and/or
unclear (well, that and the fact that people use it too much).

 - Kristian.