Re: Drizzle on MS windows

On 07/14/2010 01:11 AM, Stewart Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 21:15:09 +0530, Jobin Augustine <jobinau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> As a hobby project started working on porting Drizzle to windows.
>> I don't know anybody already started in this direction.
>>
>> have few options before me to start.
>>
>> 1. Use MinGW (http://www.mingw.org/)
>>
>> 2. Use Cygwin DLL and compile in windows
>> (i think, postgres initially followed this path)
>>
>> 3. Cross compile to windows executable from Linux. (static build)
>>
>> Just started with option 2. but don't know whether i am in right direction.
>> if anybody has any previous experience in any of the above, please
>> guide me.
>
> I'd recommend 1 over 2. Cygwin is problematic in a number of ways.

Depends on how large of a task you want...

the MinGW port will be a very large undertaking, because you'll need to
fix networking code in libdrizzle, and then you'll need to actually port
drizzle to Windows. (1 and 3 are actually essentially the same amount of
work - there are like, 3 things you'll need to fix in the build scripts
to get 3 to work)

Monty