Re: Drizzle on MS windows

On 07/16/2010 07:57 PM, Stewart Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:10:44 -0500, Monty Taylor <mordred@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Depends on how large of a task you want...
>>
>> the MinGW port will be a very large undertaking, because you'll need to
>> fix networking code in libdrizzle, and then you'll need to actually port
>> drizzle to Windows. (1 and 3 are actually essentially the same amount of
>> work - there are like, 3 things you'll need to fix in the build scripts
>> to get 3 to work)

The libdrizzle thing that needs fixed is just the select/poll thing.
Shouldn't be a big patch... just needs to get done.

> If you rewrite something like the my_socket abstraction that I did for
> NDB win32 port, socket code should be pretty easy.

I would strongly prefer it if we would not have any wrappers such as
this. (although I understand that in the case of NDB and MySQL it was
required)

We will not support any Windows before Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008.

If, for some reason, we cannot port to windows without compatibility,
then we can put more code into gnulib/ and provide linux compat for the
windows build. Alternately, we can use the boost socket compat lib
that's in boost::asio (I believe we can use it directly without using
the rest of boost::asio)

Essentially, any time we have the urge to write a my_ anything, we
should not.

Monty