Re: [drizzle-discuss] Query Cache syntax

Hi All,

jus throwing this in here - I would like on demand - I have not find
cases where I wanted to either cache all or nothing.

For on demand, I would prefer a syntax that does not alter the SQL
syntax proper - rather, I would like something inside a SQL comment so
it doesn't collide with SQL clients that don't understand the
extension. Something like:

SELECT /*!CACHE */ ....

maybe throw in support for timed caching, like:

SELECT /*!CACHE INTERVAL 10 MINUTE*/...

just some ideas.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Patrick Crews <gleebix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm no expert, but I like the simplicity of approach #1.  However, I think
> #2 gives users more flexibility.  It would be interesting to hear some users
> thoughts.  You might try pinging Sweetums (a MySQL DBA) to get his thoughts.
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 12:04 PM, djellel eddine Difallah
> <difallah@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> In my Gsoc Query Cache project, I came to a point where I need to decide
>> on the syntax to use to either cache a query resultset or not. For
>> reference, Mysql has a system variable "query_cache_type" that can set 3
>> modes:
>> OFF : prevents caching or retrieval of cached results.
>> ON : enables caching except of those statements that begin with
>> SELECT SQL_NO_CACHE
>> DEMAND : causes caching of only those statements that begin with   SELECT
>> SQL_CACHE
>>
>> Since Drizzle has a different approach (multiple query cache plugins might
>> be enabled) I'd like to check your preference on that. so any suggestion is
>> welcome !
>>
>> My ideas:
>> 1)  No system variable and just an on DEMAND kind of mode, where the
>> developer has to specifiy SQL_CACHE to get his query cached.
>>
>> 2)  A system variable, but no OFF mode since a plugin can be
>> enable/disabled, but that means I need to set a default mode (ON or DEMAND).
>>

>> That's being said, to do that I have to modify the sql_yacc.yy, and that
>> might not be so trivial.
>>
>> Thanks
>> ~ DeD

Roland Bouman
blog: http://rpbouman.blogspot.com/
twitter: @rolandbouman

Author of "Pentaho Solutions: Business Intelligence and Data
Warehousing with Pentaho and MySQL",
http://tinyurl.com/lvxa88 (Wiley, ISBN: 978-0-470-48432-6)

Author of "Pentaho Kettle Solutions: Building Open Source ETL
Solutions with Pentaho Data Integration",
http://tinyurl.com/33r7a8m (Wiley, ISBN: 978-0-470-63517-9)