Re: Merging dul-web and dul-daemon ?

On May 26, 2010, at 11:48 AM, David Borowitz wrote:

I'm definitely open to the idea of simplifying and/or combining dul- daemon and dul-web. To be honest, it feels a little messy every time I have to add more code to one of those scripts. In my ideal world, these wrapper scripts
would contain as little code as possible (basically "if __name__ ==
'__main__': start_server('http', sys.argv[1:])").

Another possibility that moves in a slightly different direction is to use
setuptools's entry points:
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#automatic-script-creation

<http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#automatic-script-creation >(Tangentially, the reason I added the logging code to dul-web was that I didn't want to put the WSGI handlers in web.py, since wsgiref is not part of the python2.4
standard library. That said, every python2.4 system I have has wsgiref
installed, and I'm sure we could come up with a conditional import scheme
that fails gracefully.)

I'd be a _huge_ fan of using entry points instead of maintaining scripts - manually maintained scripts are often a colossal pain when using something like virtualenv or buildout.